Spousal Sponsorship

Leaving loved ones on the other side of the river and moving abroad is not an easy task. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship of Canada (IRCC) is a strong advocate of family reunification, which is why processing spouse sponsorship applications is a top priority for Canadian visa offices.

One of the goals of the Canadian government is to ensure that Canadian families can be reunited. The Spouse Sponsorship Program is the most requested program for family immigration. Recently, processing time has been reduced from 26 months to 12 months for 80% of both Canadian and non-Canadian applications. The Spouses, common-law partner or conjugal partner wishing to immigrate to Canada under the Spousal Sponsorship category must be sponsored by a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada. If you apply for spousal sponsorship outside of Canada, the Canadian Immigration Service will issue you a Canada Spouse Visa (Confirmation of Permanent Residency) after determining and approving your sponsorship application.

The applicant (sponsor) must become a permanent resident upon arrival in Canada and must enter Canada by the expiration date indicated on the temporary visa.

If you wish to apply for spousal sponsorship within Canada, your application will be processed first. Once approved, the applicant's status changes from temporary to permanent. Spousal sponsorship in Canada provides Canadian residents with the opportunity to apply for an open work permit to the sponsored individual.

Through Spouse Sponsorship Program, KVD Immigration Inc offers comprehensive services to spouses, common-law partners, and conjugal partners who wish to immigrate to Canada to join their loved ones.

Eligibility Assessment

Our team will help determine if you are eligible for spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner sponsorship to maximize your chances of success with your application.

Application Support

We will walk you through the process of submitting a complete and accurate sponsorship application and addressing any issues or concerns you may have.

Ongoing Support Our team will provide ongoing support throughout the sponsorship process, keeping you updated on progress and addressing any issues that may arise.

While spousal sponsorship may not be an option at this time, you may consider a temporary residency program such as a tourist visa.

Choose KVD Immigration Inc as your trusted partner for all your family's sponsorship needs. With our personal approach, expert advice, and commitment to your success, your dreams of reuniting with loved ones in Canada are within reach.

Contact us now.

Let the journey begin.


Sponsorship timeline

Application Package

Complete all forms and prepare all supporting documents required for your situation. Application package may differ based on applicant’s country of residence, as well as documents issued by other countries. If you’re applying under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada class, your spouse or partner may be also eligible to apply for an Open Work Permit.

Letter of Acknowledgement

At this point processing starts. IRCC will not send an acknowledgement of receipt until they have opened your application and checked that it is complete. As you go through the process, you may receive requests for additional documents. Make sure to check your online account and email for updates.

Medical Examination

IRCC will provide deadline and instructions on how to get medical exam done. You must go for your medical exam within 30 days of receiving these instructions. If you do not follow these instructions, IRCC may refuse your application. If there is a problem with your medical exam, IRCC will contact you to advise.


IRCC will finish processing your application after they have received all the necessary information. Once approved, applicant will receive confirmation of permanent residence. If officer is satisfied that you meet the requirements to enter Canada, you will be allowed to enter Canada as a permanent resident.

Spouse Visa

Spouse Visa Requirements

You Can Become A Sponsor If You Are:

  • A Canadian citizen, a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or a permanent resident

  • At least 18 years old

  • Living in Canada

  • If you’re a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored relative becomes a permanent resident

  • You can’t sponsor someone if you’re a permanent resident living outside of Canada

You must also be able to show that you can provide basic needs for:
  • Yourself

  • Your spouse or partner

  • Your spouse or partner’s dependent child(ren) (if applicable)

  • Your dependent child(ren) (if you’re sponsoring only your dependent child).

Minimum Income Requirements

  • In most cases, there is no low-income-cut-off (LICO) for spouse, partner or dependent child sponsorships. However, if either a spouse or partner you’re sponsoring has as dependent child who has dependent children of their own, or a dependent child you are sponsoring has a dependent child of their own, you must meet a minimum LICO score, which is determined by the Canadian government each year. If you must meet LICO requirements, you must include a Financial Evaluation (IMM 1283) form with your application

You May Not Be Able To Sponsor If You:

  • Signed an undertaking for a previous spouse or partner and it hasn’t been three years since they became a permanent resident

  • Receive social assistance for a reason other than disability

  • Previously sponsored someone and did not pay back any social assistance that they received while the undertaking was in place.

  • Are in default on an immigration loan or a performance bond

  • Did not pay court-ordered alimony or child support

  • Have declared bankruptcy which has not been discharged

  • Were convicted of

  • An offence of a sexual nature

  • A violent crime

  • An offence against a relative that caused bodily harm or

  • Threatened or attempted to commit any of the above offences—depending on the nature of the offence, how long ago it happened and if you received a pardon

  • Were previously sponsored as a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner and became a permanent resident of Canada less than five years ago

  • Are under a removal order

  • Are in a penitentiary, jail, reformatory or prison

  • Have already applied to sponsor your current spouse or partner and haven’t received a decision

Contact Us


Call us

Tel: +1 (647) 394-9172


1310 Dundas St E Unit #202,

Mississauga, ON L4Y 2C1



Designed and Developed by Tajinder Singh Copyright (C) 2023. All Rights Reserved